Can you run Linux apps(games) on OSX

DualG4X

Registered
just wondering if its posible to run linux apps on OSX, well the real reason im wondering is because i want to play UT 2003 and its only out for Win n Lnx so i just was thinking if there was a way to run the linux version of it on my mac.:confused:

The short answer is no. Unless you can get the source code and recompile it for Darwin on a PPC, you won't be able to run it. A Linux program compiled for x86 has no chance of running on OS X. The only way this would even be possible would be to emulate both Linux system calls, and x86 CPU instructions, but the resulting processing overhead would bring the program to its knees.

Programs written using Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) and those that target OpenGL can often be recompiled on Mac OS X with a bit of effort. I've been able to get several of the demos on the SDL site to compile and run on Mac OS X using ProjectBuilder.

SDL exists for Linux, Mac OS, Mac OS X, BeOS, Amiga, Unix, and - yes - even Windows. Some enterprising developers have ported their SDL/OpenGL apps to Mac OS X. Two that come to mind immediately are Tux Racer and LBreakout, an Arkanoid-type game. There are bound to be others.

Back