Can you tell Safari where to save a file?

Guzz2k

Registered
So far, Safari only saves to my desktop and I'm getting a little tired of moving everything from there to the appropriate folder. I know I can select somewhere other than the desktop to save files in the preferences panel, but I'm talking about choice on a file-by-file basis.

Go to the prefs in Safari and click the general tab. There's a "save downloaded files" option that defaults to the desktop. Click on the pop-down and choose other and then specify where you want it to go.

Yeah, I know about that, but I don't want to go in to the preferences every time I want to save a file in a different directory that the last.

You shouldn't have to do it every time. Just once.

If it doesn't work there, then open up System Preferences, click on the Internet pane, click on the Web tab, and there's a place to select the default folder to download stuff to. That one should stick.

Ok, I guess I wasn't totally clear.

Internet Explorer asks you where you'd like to save a file before it actually does, as opposed to Safari dumping everything on the desktop or all in one folder. All I want to do is get Safari to ask me where I'd like a file saved because I don't like moving everything off my desktop to the folder it was supposed to be in in the first place.

Back