Cannot completely remove program. HELP!

noob5000

Registered
Hi, I am trying to install some software and I managed to mess it up first time round by skipping a step. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software many times in an attempt to try and regain access to this screen I saw first time round, but the screen is bypassed every time. Clearly somewhere my initial choice to skip this screen has been loggd, and this log is not being deleted when I try to remove the software.

These are the software locations I know about:

Library/Application Support
Library/Receipts
Users/Library/Preferences

If anyone has any suggestions of other places where this 'log' might be lurking then Im all ears as I cannot use the software until I get past this!

Also, since the software is not a typical application (it is a VST), it does not have an application logo which means I cannot use a third party program to help me completely uninstall it.

You could also delete the cache files and the main preferences.

HD/Library/Caches
HD/Users/(Username)/Library/Caches
HD/Library/Preferences

You can also get AppZapper, which will get the job done for you.

Try this--- download " ONYX " app. ( it's free ) use google to find it.
Install it. It has many tabs for usages-- app uninstaller which will rmove anything connected w/ that app.
I have used it may times for lots of things, I.E.- empty trash when even force secure empty would not work. Emptying caches- clean out preferences etc.
Good Luck
DICKSTER-----

That happened to me before. I just used Spotlight to find all the "pieces" of the app I wanted to uninstall and then I moved each one to the trash. This includes .plists, caches, remnants and any other file type left behind by the program. As for the log, go to Utilities and launch Console - the log should be in there.

can't you find the program in your control panel? usually programs can be removed from there or use an AntiVirus software to delete certain program. Or may be somewhere in your systems are initially run this program and it will be protected from removing. In that case, delete part of it time by time. Someday you may find it can be directly delete. Just try!

Also some old-fashioned apps come with an installer for the application (e.g. Microsoft or Adobe stuff, also VMware Fusion and Parallels since these last two require added kexts to wrok). The same apps usually come with an uninstaller app, which will do all the dirty work for you and remove usually everything the app installed, from preferences to stuff in the library to any additional kernel extension file.

can't you find the program in your control panel? usually programs can be removed from there or use an AntiVirus software to delete certain program. Or may be somewhere in your systems are initially run this program and it will be protected from removing. In that case, delete part of it time by time. Someday you may find it can be directly delete. Just try!

Control panel?
Sure, your steps work great for anyone using a Windows OS. Just not Mac OS X.

Maybe I don't understand the question, but wouldn't doing a system-wide search via Spotlight and trashing all related components do the trick?

For what it is worth, in my experience Spotlight does not find everything. I use the free program EasyFind. The free App-Cleaner will find most things as well. A lot of "uninstallers" do not actually uninstall everything a program instals. Part of that is questionably legitimate: a free trial. Developers will leave things so that you cannot keep deleting the program after the free trial, then reinstalling it.

Of course, you have to know what you are looking for.

--J.D.

Back