"Cannot configure system components..."

benhustis

Registered
I'm trying to install 32-bit Vista Home Premium with SP1 on my new Macbook Pro, and in the last section of the install I get an error, something like "Windows cannot configure certain system components, install must restart." The install does, and then goes into a loop, telling me it can't configure a system component, restart the install...

i'm trying to do a new install on a freshly formatted NTFS partition on the drive. Apple can't help me, and Microsoft is also stumped. any ideas?

Did Boot Camp come with errors before that? If it managed to do the partition (yes, it should be done with Boot Camp), at the end you would be using the Boot Camp drivers for configuring that Windows installation.
Is that a retail disc of Vista or an OEM one?

no, I'm not getting any errors other than the one at the very end of the install. The partitioning goes fine. and it is a retail disc, ordered from Amazon.

I have this same exact problem. Partition goes fine, then in the last part of the windows installation the error appears.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have the exact same issue. I am installing the oem version of vista home premium 64 bit on my brand new macbook pro. I use bootcamp assistant to create a 60gig partition, insert my vista cd to start the install, use advanced options to let vista convert format to ntfs.

Everything goes fine until the system reboots and it errors out on the completing installation step. The errors says "Windows cannot configure one or more system components. To install windows restart the computer and restart the installation."

Any idea? I am at a complete loss as to what to do.

thanks
william

I have tried everything. Apple support wasn't much help. I have a late macbook pro so vista 64 bit should work. I even went to office depot this morning and picked up a full retail version of xp pro with sp2. It errored as well.
I went through the steps, it rebooted and hung at the screen that says "Setup will complete in approximately 39 minutes". After a while it errored out saying:

"An error has been encountered that prevents set up from continuing. One of the components that windows needs to continue setupu could not be installed. Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
If you are instaling from a cd, there might be a problem with the disc, try cleaning the disc or using another disc. Press OK to view set up log file."

When I press OK I see this:

Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file D:\I386\asms\10\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man" on line 4

Error: Installation failed: D"\I386\asms. Error message: data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Any ideas? thank you!

Update: it works!

I exchanged my XP Home disc at Office Depot and the new one worked without problem. I even did it twice. The first time I used the 32 gig suggested boot camp partition size, formatted it to ntfs during the xp install an it worked.

I restored the partition and set it to 64 gigs and it worked again. I wonder if my 64 bit Vista disc is bad. Just seems strange to have two bad discs. Oh well, XP is running now and I'm happy. I'm only using boot camp for pc games and nothing else so XP is probably better choice.

Thanks for the help!

Glad it worked :) 2 bad discs in a row is a bit unusual, but it could be still possible.

Back