Cannot connect to ISP from X

Sauron

Registered
I'm having trouble with connecting to my ISP from OS X using dial-up. I verified all of my settings (which worked fine yesterday...) but still wouldn't work. I have no trouble with connecting in 9.1, but X simply won't work. I even tried signing up for a free Earthlink trial, works fine in 9.1, no go in X. Anybody else having this problem? Anyone know a fix?

By the way, it disconnects when trying to authenticate the user.

I'm having the same problem too. The OS X dialer keeps telling me I have an authentication error!

Someone help!

i'm having similar problems as well. x installed fine and i was able to log on to my isp using dial-up, repeatedly and without difficulty. as of this afternoon, however, i am no longer able to connect up. i'm not getting any error messages at all, just the throbbing Connect button from the ppp connect window. pressing it 100 times does nothing. i don't know if this is related, but this problem first showed up after i checked the network preferences option to automatically connect to the internet when starting tcp/ip apps. subsequently unchecking this option has had no effect. if anyone is experiencing something similar and gets to the root of this please post.

for reference: beige g3 300 mhz, 384M ram, 45 G hard drive, proformance 3 graphics card, scsi scanner.

Same problem here. It has been said that LAN AppleTalk settings are the pbm., i.e., if you disable ethernet then you can connect to your ISP. There would be some VERY cranky people here if I disabled the local network, so I haven't tried this. Besides, if you have to cripple your machine to make OS X work then what's the point?

My experience is that setting Internet Connect for dialup 56k worked fine until one day I had a really bad disconnect. After having to turn off the computer and reboot, it simply won't connect. I can reboot into 9.1 and connect just fine. I have been wondering if the program thinks the modem is still connected or something. I suspect a setting or two may have been messed up, but I don't know how to go in and check. Ideas?

I've had the same problem, but could fix it.
I called my ISP, and asked if they had other dial-in numbers.

I don't know why, but from the 10 dial-in numbers i have, there is only one (and always the same) that works.

I know this is a stupid solution, but it worked ;)

regards

This is quite simple really. I had following problems on my G4 MP450:
- Internet freezes and DISCONNECT goes on for hours
- PPP error (246, etc.) OR busy reply OR authentication failure
- OS crashes when connected and KERNEL error message comes up

SOLUTION:

OS-X is alot more memory sensitive - if you remove any memory upgrades you have put in and leave only the original memory that came with the machine, EVERYTHING will work fine - providing you had enough base memory when the machine was purchased...
The only way to fix this is by buying compatible DIMMS (RAM).

You can try booting up in OS9, pressing ALT+APPLE when opening the memory control panel, then disabling startup memory test - although this only caused my machine to crash and go to blue screen without any error warnings when OS-X was booted up afterwards. Might work on some systems, though.

P.S. the quality of the DIMM doesn't seem to matter - m ine was a very hq NEC item and it still gave me trouble!

NOT VERY NICE IS IT, MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE APPLE ARE RAIDING OUR POCKETBOOKS!!!

I too have been having the same connect problem in X that heff posted. I 'm able to connect fine running OS 9.1 and using a supra modem via a geethree stealth serial port. However running in X I get the same problem mentioned earlier with the connect button in the dialup app constantly flashing but never engaging.

I thought it might have been the geethree device , but I talked to that company and after seeing several posts here not mentioning it, I think it may be something else. Of course all my IP info appears to be correct. When I was running X connected via a DSL line ( before NorthPoint did a nose dive) it was fine as well.

Also it was mentioned earlier that it might have something do with

RAM. In my case I have a single 256 apple installed DIMM in a G4/500. So in my case that may not be a factor.

Of course it could be a bug that was fixed with the update put on last week, but then you would need to connect to run the software update which uses the net... nice... I hope they can make an update that can be downloaded from 9.1

I guess we need to start e-mailing 'the source' to get any real answer.

I too can not connect via dial up now that I've installed X. I did install a new 256 meg dimm in slot one recently but I have no troubles with the RAM from crucial in 9.1... I still have my original 64 megs that came with the machine in a box... I have an additional 128 in slot 2.

This is on a 400 MHz G4 Powermac with no extra hardware installed.

Muskie

Originally posted by p.steinhardt
This is quite simple really. I had following problems on my G4 MP450:
- Internet freezes and DISCONNECT goes on for hours
- PPP error (246, etc.) OR busy reply OR authentication failure
- OS crashes when connected and KERNEL error message comes up

SOLUTION:

OS-X is alot more memory sensitive - if you remove any memory upgrades you have put in and leave only the original memory that came with the machine, EVERYTHING will work fine - providing you had enough base memory when the machine was purchased...
The only way to fix this is by buying compatible DIMMS (RAM).

You can try booting up in OS9, pressing ALT+APPLE when opening the memory control panel, then disabling startup memory test - although this only caused my machine to crash and go to blue screen without any error warnings when OS-X was booted up afterwards. Might work on some systems, though.

P.S. the quality of the DIMM doesn't seem to matter - m ine was a very hq NEC item and it still gave me trouble!

NOT VERY NICE IS IT, MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE APPLE ARE RAIDING OUR POCKETBOOKS!!!

Bad Idea.
First off, update your G4's firmware to the latest, which came out not too long ago. This firmware will disable any ram which is not to spec. You can test before hand if you are worried about loosing your ram with a program from version tracker:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10415

The firmware update will stop the most common kernel panics that are a result of memory problems.

Second:
Get the updated AppleSerialSCC.kext file by Louis Gerbarg http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=5448
this will stop dial up connection related kernel panics, but does not fix the -264 problems. We are still waiting for apple to fix this [I think].

I have a Rev-C iMac I recently upgraded to 256M.

I never tried the modem in my previous 160M configuration.

It is currently pretty much ignoring the modem -- won't actually "connect" or try to dial, won't "disconnect" when I hit cancel.

What are my options? I hate to think it's RAM-related, but I'm sure at a loss otherwise.

Mike

Back