Cannot connect to Live Messenger on Win connecting through Mac with Internet Sharing

solipsist

Registered
We sorted the problem with the crossover cable, a new cable fixed it. The old one was damaged but I didn't think that was likely, in my experience a cable either works or it doesn't, there's no middle.

Anyhow, we have a new problem. My girlfriend can't log in to Live Messenger or Hotmail from her computer anymore when connecting to the Internet through my Mac that runs Internet Sharing.

We have tried disabling all firewalls and any software that might be in the way but nothing seems to work. The connection troubleshooter in Messenger sometimes reports Key Ports to be blocked and sometimes reports them as open, regardless of whether any firewall is running, and either way she can't log in. Speaking of which, Microsoft doesn't seem to want to tell us what ports Live Messenger uses... but I looked around the net and found some info and also read the firewall log and opened the ones that it attempted to use.

Do you have any ideas? Has anyone had this problem?

MisterMe: "We have tried disabling all firewalls..."

eric2006: I'm using the Mac OS X Firewall, and it doesn't work, whether it's off or on, whether I've opened the ports, and I've opened all the ones that I've found reports about and which the Windows machine seems to try accessing.

MisterMe: "We have tried disabling all firewalls..."

eric2006: I'm using the Mac OS X Firewall, and it doesn't work, whether it's off or on, whether I've opened the ports, and I've opened all the ones that I've found reports about and which the Windows machine seems to try accessing.

"Port Forwarding" is something you do on your router. Refer to your router's manual or the link I posted above for instructions on how to do it.

eric: Thanks for posting but we're not using a router, my MB is connected directly to the broadband provider through LAN and PPPoE. Regularly the router would be the first things I'd check, being familiar with configuring routers I know all the problems with setting up port forwarding but this seems to have to do with the OS X Internet Sharing itself as it doesn't work even when the OSX Firewall is STOPPED.

Yes, I can connect to my MSN account with Adium. We tried Trillium and Gaim on her Win XP machine, neither managed to connect to her MSNM account. Firewalls down and all, it's very bizarre. She can connect to Google Talk however, so the Jabber protocol seems fine.

So, you're using internet sharing on your Mac to connect the XP machine to the internet? Also, when you say "disabled firewall", you mean on the OS X machine and the Windows machine? Do you have any protection utilities running on the Windows machine that you can disable?

Yes, her Win XP machine connects to the Internet through my Mac. When I say "firewall" I mean both the OSX Firewall and the Windows Firewall. There is no protection software running, no AntiSpyware or AntiVirus software present thay could block traffic.

Back