Cannot "connect" to scanner consistently.

I installed the drivers and software for my HP 2575 All-In-One printer scanner, and it worked the first time. Now, a few days later, when I bring up the HP Scan Pro, I get the following message:

"Sorry, scanner could not be initialized.
(Scanner not found.)"

Now, the printer prints just fine, so there is a solid USB hardware connection in place - and the scanner worked the first time around. When it didn't (on the 2nd use), I deleted the program, and downloaded another install file, and it worked OK again. Now, I tried that a third time and it just won't connect. Period.

I don't even know where to start looking to troubleshoot. I suspect there is something about the USB connection that the Mac "doesn't like." I had a similar problem inside Parallels as I could not get Windows (inside Parallels) XP to "see" the printer - after installing Bonjour (from Apple) the problem was solved.

Except that is specifically for a Windows OS (Bonjour is an EXE file) and the problem here is in the Mac.

Gee, what's wrong? I need help.

Barry

Dear Barry,

I have exacly the same problem. Tryed everything, but did not succeed :-( I hope anyone can suggest an alternative!

Gereon

I guess it's been a few years since I had written my comments. I should extend my comments: I no longer us a Microsoft Computer, using Windows XP, and instead I now use my Macs. My HP runs with no problems of course.

However, there are one or two programs that will only run on Windows XP (well, any of the Microsofts), the main one is Quicken. In order to run my few special programs I had purchased a program called "Parallels" that is installed inside the Mac, and Windows XP inside Parallels and inside the Windows XP of course, at least the one, Quicklen - and yes, as mentioned four years ago, my Windows XP does not control the HP printer. Yes, that was then (and really now) a problem.

The printing was infrequently used by me for items to be printed out of Quicken (in the mostly used "inside" program) but there is, as I since learned, an alternative. On the Mac's side (the real side actually) is a program called "Preview" and inside that is "File -> Grab -> Selection" (do you already know about that?) which of course simply copies whatever is on the screen (in whatever portion, etc.) and creates a new file that is now inside Mac and essentially not "inside" Microsoft! And so easily printed, saved, etc.

Recently I had purchased another similar Mac and the other choice now is to simply "Boot Camp" creating a small section inside the Mac as a separated Microsoft computer (about maybe using 15% of the total Mac) and instead of functioning inside Mac is simply installs as a separated computer (but of course was really created inside Mac's controls to use its "Boot Camp") that of course just runs like a separated computer. I just recently installed that and if you want to know how I result, please send me another e-mailed comment in a dew days.

Back