Cannot connect to wireless network

Baccarat

Registered
The problem

I have just got a new Mac Book Pro and am trying to connect to my wireless network at home. Whenever I try I get an error message.

Things I've tried

I took the laptop to work and could connect to their wireless network, so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my setup at home. I have checked that my ISP and router are both compatible with Airport Extreme, and they both are (apparently!). I can connect to the router using an ethernet cable. I have a PC currently connected to the wireless network. I have added my laptop's MAC address to the router. I have copied my WPA key across on a USB pen drive to make sure it is entered correctly. I have tried turning all the wireless security settings off (hidden SSID, MAC address filter, WPA) but it still won't connect.

Research (ish)

I was told that there may be an encryption problem, my PC encrypting at 64b rather than 128b, or the other way round. Not sure what this is or how to check it. Also, someone else I asked thought it might be the speed of the router. If it's not pumping out 108Mbs then my laptop might not be able to pick it up. Again, not sure how to check this and might have guessed at the numbers I just typed, sorry that's probably not very helpful...

My system info

I am trying to connect a Mac Book Pro running OSX Tiger to a wireless network using a D-Link DSL-G604T router. My ISP is EFHbroadband.

Now what?

What do I try next? I refuse to give in! My main reason for getting this computer was for wireless internet. What else can I tell you that might be useful? Hope you can help.

Thanks

Does the MacBook Pro see the access point at all?

Which WPA configuration are you using on the Mac? It should be "WPA Personal" if you are using pre shared keys. I suspect you already have tried this, but let's just check it off the list.

The DSL-G604T is an 802.11g router so it should work fine with the MBP.

The problem

I have just got a new Mac Book Pro and am trying to connect to my wireless network at home. Whenever I try I get an error message.

Things I've tried

I took the laptop to work and could connect to their wireless network, so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my setup at home. I have checked that my ISP and router are both compatible with Airport Extreme, and they both are (apparently!). I can connect to the router using an ethernet cable. I have a PC currently connected to the wireless network. I have added my laptop's MAC address to the router. I have copied my WPA key across on a USB pen drive to make sure it is entered correctly. I have tried turning all the wireless security settings off (hidden SSID, MAC address filter, WPA) but it still won't connect.

Research (ish)

I was told that there may be an encryption problem, my PC encrypting at 64b rather than 128b, or the other way round. Not sure what this is or how to check it. Also, someone else I asked thought it might be the speed of the router. If it's not pumping out 108Mbs then my laptop might not be able to pick it up. Again, not sure how to check this and might have guessed at the numbers I just typed, sorry that's probably not very helpful...

My system info

I am trying to connect a Mac Book Pro running OSX Tiger to a wireless network using a D-Link DSL-G604T router. My ISP is EFHbroadband.

Now what?

What do I try next? I refuse to give in! My main reason for getting this computer was for wireless internet. What else can I tell you that might be useful? Hope you can help.

Thanks

Back