Cannot import backed-up mail

c32077

Registered
Recently I deleted my user account and created a new one to correct some issues I was having. After this I tried to import my old backed-up emails from the dmg that was created from my erasure and Mail cannot see them. It tells me there are no valid mbox files. I've tried selecting every folder all the way out to the full Mail folder and no luck.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Chuck

Could be an ownership issue. Try copying it to your desktop from the DMG before trying to import. If necessary, change the owner by opening Terminal and typing the following:
sudo chown -R yournewshortname ~/Desktop/Mail and hit return and enter your password.
(Note: Be sure to replace yournewshortname with your actual current short name. also, ~/Desktop/Mail assumes that you've copied your mail folder to the desktop, and that it is in a folder called "Mail". Alter accordingly.)

Also, be sure you import using the "Mail for Mac OS X" option and not the "mbox file" option. the mbox files Mail creates are nothing like standard .mbox files (refer to this article for more info). You SHOULD be able to select the Mail folder and have it find everything.

Good Luck.

Back