Cannot mount my OS9 Partition For Install

Dave N

My OS X Goes to XI
I got a new G4 with a 40 gig hd last week. The first thing I did was put in the OSX install CD, wipe the hd, and make 3 partitions: OSX (20gig, HFS+), OS9(10gig, HFS), and Free space (10gig unformatted). I easily installed OSX on the OSX partition, then put the OS9 disk in and rebooted from CD, and easily installed it into the OS9 partition. Then i spent the next two days trying to get various flavors of Linux to install into the remaining partition. After several attempts, something got so screwed up with the (now) unix partition(s) that gave up and wiped the whole disc using the OSX CD.

I repeated the original partitioning scheme above, except I installed Linux right after I installed OSX. I finally got Yellowdog to work, and yaboot is in the boot partition. So, today I tried to install OS9 in the OS9 partition, but after booting from the OS9 CD, the Disk Utility will not recognize the OS9 partition (or ANY partition, for that matter). I rebooted into X and tried "erasing" the OS9 partition using the OSX Disk Utility (HFS format), but I still can't install OS9. If I choose the "initialize disk" option from the OS9 disk utility, the warning screen shows all of the partitions by name, but it will not mount any.

Can anyone tell me what's up here? I really don't want to reinstall everything again. Is this problem due to the fact that yaboot is in the boot partition?

I don't remember -- if the default is to "install OS9 drivers", then I probably did. It won't let me install them now.

I'm using the disk utility that came with 10.1 (I think it's v6.1, but the text is so tiny in the "about" window that I can't see the "." between the 6 and the 1!).

Back