cannot play various video files

Dyldjian

Registered
Hi, Ive been having problems playing .avi and mp4 files. I try to open them in Quicktime, Realplayer and VLC. Every time the program closes unexpectedly after a few seconds without playing anything. VLC does the best by at least playing some sound for 5-10 seconds before closing. These files used to work fine only a matter of a week ago. I tried re-installing all 3 programs but with no luck, I tried re-installing codecs like perion, divx and xvid with no success. The only files that continue to play fine are mpg, flv and wmv. I have no idea whats going on. please help!!!

For me, part of the problem was that my Mac was just too old--a Widdle Pismo with a G4 550 thrown in. MacBook solved the problem as well as Flip4Mac which translated most wmv and, I think, a few avi to QT.

So . . . post your specs: Model, processor, RAM, OS, and the version of programs.

--J.D.

Hi, Ive been having problems playing .avi and mp4 files. I try to open them in Quicktime, Realplayer and VLC. Every time the program closes unexpectedly after a few seconds without playing anything. VLC does the best by at least playing some sound for 5-10 seconds before closing. These files used to work fine only a matter of a week ago. I tried re-installing all 3 programs but with no luck, I tried re-installing codecs like perion, divx and xvid with no success. The only files that continue to play fine are mpg, flv and wmv. I have no idea whats going on. please help!!!
It wouldn't hurt to give the version of your OS, the versions of your software, and the model of your computer. Also, if you can open the video files, then either the QuickTime Player or VLC can tell you which codecs are used for the audio and video tracks.

Back