cannot restart; airport bridge network headaches

pr9000

Registered
two things:

1. i can't restart osx. i get "shut down" and "sleep" but no restart option, even when logged in as root. "shut down" and "restart" are not disabled under the preferences. anyone care to help?

2. i've got an airport bridge network set up in my house; DSL into a hub, my airport base station into a hub, my imac (indigo) into the hub and my powerbook connected via airport.

osx will give me about three minutes of internet usage, and then it just craps out.

i've given osx an IP of 10.0.1.51 with the router address at 10.0.1.1, just as apple's "designing airport networks" document tells me to. i don't know if it's my network that's messed up (i doubt it) or if it's osx (i'd put money on it) ...

anyone else running such a network? if so, care to share?

thanks.

Originally posted by pr9000

1. i can't restart osx. i get "shut down" and "sleep" but no restart option, even when logged in as root. "shut down" and "restart" are not disabled under the preferences. anyone care to help?
Two solutions to question 1

1: Log out and choose restart the restart button on the Login panel

or

2: Keep option (alt) key pressed when opening the Special menu or hitting the startup key on your keyboard. The restart option will now appear, replacing the shutdown option.

thanks. i actually stumbled upon #2 in another forum ... i guess i'm another mac OS "hotshot" who jumped in too soon ...

Originally posted by The DJ
Originally posted by pr9000

Two solutions to question 1

1: Log out and choose restart the restart button on the Login panel

or

2: Keep option (alt) key pressed when opening the Special menu or hitting the startup key on your keyboard. The restart option will now appear, replacing the shutdown option.

Back