cannot restore erased iPod

raindogs

Registered
I may have done something deeply unwise here.

I've been having some problems with my iPod lately, so I figured I would just dump off the songs, restore it with the updater, and be on my merry way. Unfortunately, iPod Updater could not find my iPod (I'm running OS X Panther if it makes any difference). Following the advice of another online article, I went ahead and erased the iPod using the disk utility. Now, when I plug in iPod updater, I get an "unexpected error" message. The screen on the iPod, when not plugged in shows the little folder with the exclamation point, although once I plug it in it will mount and show "Do not disconnect". Of course all of the hidden files that make up the iPod's directory structure are gone, and I fear that I may have really shot myself in the foot here. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks.

What did you format the iPod as and what generation is it? Formatting it should definitly not kill your iPod. Also what types of problems were you having with it before you formatted it?

From the sounds of it so far, your iPod's hard drive may have been damadged even before you did the format.

Back