Cannot shut down

howardphillis

Registered
I am having a problem with a G4 mirror door running OS 9.2.2 that will no shut down. I get the message "The computer cannot shut down because one of the running applications would not quit" There are no visible applications running so all I can do is pull out the power cable! I've read elsewhere that disabling Application Switcher helps with this. I tried this and it worked for a while but now the problem has reappeared. Anyone else come across this and managed to cure it

There must be a process running in background that is still working and doesn't let your Mac shut down... Check VT for a process watcher app. then see what's the problem with it...

Hi

That has been a problem on and off since Sys. 7.6. If you know where and how to use the invisible files, you can make the shut down visible, then trash it and restart. An older version of IE caused the problem for me using 8.0. But I have not had the problem since upgrading to 9.2.2. Some older software will cause this problem. If you check your trash after it happens there should be a rescued from harddisk folder and in side the folder may be a clue as to which one is causing this problem.

Sharon

Back