Canon LBP5000 color laser fails to print

ChrisM666

Registered Idiot
I have had a mini attached to a Canon LBP5000 colour laser printer since I got the mini in April and am unable to make it print.

After a longish delay Canon seem to have got a functioning driver (by others' accounts). The driver is the latest - 1.70 - and I followed the installation guide to the letter, turning the machine and the printer on only at the right moment and restarting as required.

When trying to either print a test print via the Print Queue menu or a page from a .pdf I get the error in the log pages:
Unable to retrieve workset from PPD: /private/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_LBP5000.ppd.

The preceding lines were (if it helps):
[Job ???] Request file type is application/pdf.
[Job 4] Adding start banner page "none".
[Job 4] Adding end banner page "none".
[Job 4] File of type application/pdf queued by "chrism".
[Job 4] Started filter /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/PrintJobMgr/Contents/MacOS/PrintJobMgr (PID 437)
[Job 4] Started backend /usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb (PID 438)
[Job 4] Unable to retrieve workset from PPD: /private/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_LBP5000.ppd.
PID 437 (/System/Library/Printers/Libraries/PrintJobMgr/Contents/MacOS/PrintJobMgr) stopped with status 105!
Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.

Also, Console 'Help' is non-existent so I don't know how to set the LogLevel...

Canon_LBP5000.ppd is in place - 12K long and full of text - and its entry is:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root _lp 9880 22 Dec 19:47 Canon_LBP5000.ppd

It also exists in:
/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Canon_LBP5000.ppd
and is 419126 B big! Is this significant?

This driver has been installed and removed a number of times. Is this significant e.g. re the .ppd file sizes disparity?

Have you tried repairing permissions, restarting, and then trying to print? This time, just print text from TextEdit.

Back