Can't access files from within linux, permissions problem on OS X?

isolder

Registered
I've got my mac set up with one partition for OS X and one for Gentoo. I access my OS X partition from within gentoo by using

mount hfsplus /mnt/mac /dev/hda11 (i think it's eleven, whatever it is..)

Anyway, once mounted I am able to see the directories of my OS X partition, but there is a problem.. I can't access any of the files in my user folders. I can access the public folder in my user folder, but that's it.

It seems that Gentoo is respecting the file permissions of OS X, but is there a way I can set up permissions on certain files/folders so that I can view and read them in my gentoo without being root?

I tried finding this out on the Gentoo forums but no one really could figure out what I could do to make it work.

Thanks.

You've gotten further than I. I have gentoo and I've been trying to read a partition that's formatted hfsplus and when it mounts, I can only see a file that says "Where have all my files gone?" and instructs me to upgrade to os 8,6 or later.

Anyway, I have been playing around with a program called hfsplusutils which you may have better luck with. to mount a drive, type hmount /dev/hda11 /mnt/mac. To change directories, type hcd and to list contents type hls.

Good luck to you

Back