Can't access my IP from another computer

snowgurl

Registered
I had my web server up and running for a while but lately it hasn't been working right -- as were some other things (freezes, etc). So, I reinstalled OSX, did the updates, and it still isn't working right. I can access my served pages in "documents" and "sites" locally (using 10.0.0.2) but not from an outside computer using my IP address -- and not from my computer either when I put in my IP. I did edit the httpd.conf file and put my IP in place of the 127.0.0.1 number. I have DSL with a static IP address. The 80 port is open (I checked with my ISP).

The really weird thing is that when I go to SafeWeb and put my IP in, I can see my pages! So, it must be working to some extent. Is there some security issue or access setting I've missed? Why would it work on a "secure" site like that? I read somewhere to use SafeWeb to test your pages to see if they are being seen from outside your own computer but they aren't being seen anywhere but there. My IP is 66.62.248.162. Any ideas?

Thanks for checking it out! I checked it from work today and it was okay, too. I'm wondering, though, why I can't access the pages from my machine here using the IP. It just tries to connect and fails. I know it's not necessary since I can use the localhost, but it seems strange -- do you know why that is?

I was having freezes in Explorer when scrolling but it fixed itself when I reinstalled. I had installed the Apache update and the web sharing update and that seemed to mess everything up -- that's why I reinstalled the system. Everything seems to be ok now.

I'm not sure what Safeweb does but I had read that you can test to make sure your site's visible to outside computers. I'll have to check it out -- some sort of secure portal.

Okay, one more question since I've got you here ... I want to add php and mysql and perhaps update Apache. I've seen messages with links to these but they seemed out of date and I've read about lots of problems doing it. Is there anywhere you know that I can get the most up-to-date versions with really good directions? Thanks a lot!

After 2 days of screwing around with all of this, finally, sucess! I ended up reinstalling everything all over yet again (I was getting that "unable to start the web server" problem that I've seen written about.) I think I had messed things up because I was following more that one set of instructions and installing things out of order (the updates and all). And, I think one of the installers I used was messed up. I wasn't getting the local folder installed at the root, or the libexec folder. They're where they should be now.

Anyway, I did have it all up and running at one time but I was getting those php parse errors on every page I tried. The phpinfo was working so I couldn't figure it out. So, after reinstalling again, I was still getting the problem. I was so frustrated!!! I was using BBEdit, saving in UNIX and all, but still errors. Then, I stumbled over the answer -- I had the "smart quotes" and "smart editing" options set in the preferences for BBEdit. I turned them off, and, amazingly, the pages worked! It never dawned on my to check that.

My IE freezes are whole system freezes, not just the scrolling. I've seen the scrolling error and have used the arrows, but this is a BIG freeze. I reinstalled IE and did the update so we'll see if I still have the problem.

Thanks for all the help! It's so great to have it work after spending so much time on it. I have Apache 1.3.19, PHP 4.0.4 and MySQL xx.32 running so I think I'll leave it all as it is for a while -- unless PHP 4.0.6 or the newest MySQL is worth the upgrade? And, can I trash the folders that were made during the installation -- the one's in the User folder? They were the "make" files, right, so I don't need them anymore?

Thanks again!

Back