Can't activate Windows in Parallels Workstation

TerryMcK

Registered
Bought Windows XP today and tried to install in Parallels Workstation. I want to use MapPoint, not available for Macs.

Everything worked fine, and Windows runs perfectly, except when I try to activate/register Windows, it won't accept the Product Key. It appears there's some glitch in activating Windows using Parallels WorkStation.....I'm guessing the Microsoft activation server somehow doesn't recognize Parallels as a PC or something? Anybody have this experience and/or fixes? I have 30 days to figure it out or Windows isn't useable. Have tried calling MS Customer Support but their systems are down, down, down. Woe the lives of, and my sympathies to those poor wretches who MUST use Windows on a daily basis.

Where did you buy this copy of XP? Was it an official retail version oran OEM version? If it was an OEM version, then they shouldn't have sold you that disc as those are only meant to be shipped with PC systems or components. Return it to the vendor and see about purchasing a regular retail version, Yes, I know it's expensive compared to the OEM version, but unfortunately that's the price you pay for XP....literally.... :(

I heard you had to call Microsoft about it because there's some problem with how the virtualised PC looks to the activation process. By activating by phone you apparently can make it work. If you have already activated the same copy when installing on the intel Mac through BootCamp, you simply have to tell them it's the same computer but running Windows in a virtual machine. Don't have to tell them you're using it on a Mac. They might hang up and think "crazy user..." or something. ;)

Back