Can't add events in iCal

evildan

Super Moderator
So I purchased a new Dual G5. And I was migrating all my things to it the other day.

I figured I wouldn't need to do that with iCal, because my schedule had cleared up and I saw this as a good time to just start fresh.

So nothing was transfered to it or anything like that.

The other day I was attempting to enter an event, so I started up iCal and attempted to do so in my normal fashion.

But iCal wouldn't let me add an event. I couldn't even select a different date.

I wasn't too worried about it, I continued to use the iCal on my laptop. After a few days, I saw the 10.2.8 system upgrade, so I downloaded it. With it came a new version of iCal. And it worked. I was able to select days and even add an entry. It was then I discovered the new tray feature to iCal. I kind of like it.

But I digress... since later today I attempted to use iCal and the same thing happened. I am unable to see anything, or select anything. I can add/remove/modify calendars but I can never add anything to them.

I sent a bug report to Apple about this... is anyone else having this problem?

My first thought was that it was some kind of permissions error, but honestly, I don't know how that could be, since I just randomly stopped working.

I did attempt to fix permissions and that didn't do anything either.

Any thoughts?

Delete the preference file, Users > yourname > Library > Preferences > com.whatever.the.hell.it's.called.

I tried that... I deleted three files:
com.apple.iCal.sources.plist
com.apple.iCal.alarmsCache.plist
com.apple.iCal.plist

That didn't work. I am still in the same state I was before. I can't add or even see events. It's very strange.

Okay after some experimentation I've found that I can actually add events, but ONLY by using the pulldown. And the real problem is that I cannot select other days with the mouse. So, in other words, in order to add an event for a week from now. I have to toggle to the day view and manually click the right arrow 7 times, then select "new event" from the pulldown.

Of course, simply clicking on that box in the month view and creating an event is much easier, and my preferred way of doing so.

The inability to double click on a date to add an event is a huge inconvenience for me. It will probably mean I'll have to stop using iCal and switch back to Entourage's calendar.

I really don't want to, but I have a very busy schedule and not having a calendar for the past two weeks has really hurt me. Just the other day I was 15 minutes late to an appointment because I had no idea it was even scheduled for that date until a friend called me and reminded me.

I used to rely on iCal for that kind of reminder, now I can't add events.

Back