can't add files to xmms playlist

Fragger

Lorem Ipsum
This seeems as if it should be an easy problem to fix... but after installing xmms via fink, I can't add anything whatsoever to the playlist, no matter how hard I try. Thus I have no way to verify the player even works.

thanks,
graham

Fragger said:
This seeems as if it should be an easy problem to fix... but after installing xmms via fink, I can't add anything whatsoever to the playlist, no matter how hard I try. Thus I have no way to verify the player even works.

thanks,
graham
What version of OS X, fink and gcc (if compiling from source) are you using and what version of xmms are you trying to install?

I had a similar problem recently. I had xmms compiled from source on 10.2.8 using the fink 10.2-gcc3.3 tree of version 0.6.1. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to Panther (10.3.1) and fink 0.6.2. I also went from running a version of X11 that I built from source via fink to Apple's X11 implementation. When I upgraded I blew away fink and installed everything from scratch. I compiled xmms and it ran, but none of the plugins would show up no matter what I did. xmms-config showed everything was fine and I also tried copying the plugins to my $HOME/.xmms/Plugins directory.

I read of someone else having a similar problem on the xmms.org forums and they fixed the problem by installing the binary package via FinkCommander. I deinstalled the copy I compiled from source, installed the binary and now it works. If this is similar to what you are experiencing, I'd try the binary package. I emailed the port maintainer to make him aware of the issue too.

bigdweeb said:
What version of OS X, fink and gcc (if compiling from source) are you using and what version of xmms are you trying to install?

I had a similar problem recently. I had xmms compiled from source on 10.2.8 using the fink 10.2-gcc3.3 tree of version 0.6.1. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to Panther (10.3.1) and fink 0.6.2. I also went from running a version of X11 that I built from source via fink to Apple's X11 implementation. When I upgraded I blew away fink and installed everything from scratch. I compiled xmms and it ran, but none of the plugins would show up no matter what I did. xmms-config showed everything was fine and I also tried copying the plugins to my $HOME/.xmms/Plugins directory.

I read of someone else having a similar problem on the xmms.org forums and they fixed the problem by installing the binary package via FinkCommander. I deinstalled the copy I compiled from source, installed the binary and now it works. If this is similar to what you are experiencing, I'd try the binary package. I emailed the port maintainer to make him aware of the issue too.

Confirmed. I saw exactly the same problem, with the exact same fix. Clean (full) installation of OS X 10.3 Panther, inluding Apple X11 and X11 SDK. Installed Fink from source, installed xmms from source. No plugins available, can't add files to playlist or play from command line. Playing with pluging libraries did no good.

Uninstalled xmms and Fink, then reinstalled Fink, added Fink Commander, then installed xmms from binaries using Commander. Problem resolved.

Back