Can't Add Hard Drive to Spotlight Privacy Pref

magilum

Registered
...I could add it before, but now I can't.

I searched the forum for a solution, but to be clear, this is definitely not a FAT32 formatted drive; it's an HFS+ partition on an internal SATA drive. I'll explain the setup further.

PM G5 Dual 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.6

I have identical Maxtor 6L300S0 300GB SATA drives intalled in the upper and lower bays, each split identically into two HFS+ partitions. One hard drive is for work, the other is a backup. I have SuperDuper set up to back each partition to its counterpart on the other drive at a regular schedule: meaning that, without privacy settings in Spotlight, I generally get two of every search result, and have to click the info buttons figure out which is from my work drive and which is from the backup.

Sorry if that sounds overly complicated, but the basic idea is that when I drag the backup of the bootable partition to the Spotlight Privacy prefs window, nothing happens.

I've run utils, etc., but no luck. S.M.A.R.T. status checks out. Nothing traumatic to the system has happened.

Use the Terminal to turn it off for the drive;

sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1

Then use mdutil to remove the indexes from the drive;

sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I've done as you suggested, and taken the additional step of removing the .Spotlight-V100 directory on both original and backup boot partitions (described here). I've also thought about whether SuperDuper had been copying any of that data in its back ups, so I've created an exclusion for that hidden directory in my back up script. Just waiting now to see if this works.

Back