Can't afford the $75 diagnostic fee ....

The memory/HDD is probably salvageable. Just make sure the battery is out when you install memory.

Lol ... once bitten twice shy! I'll buy a 2nd hand logic board, probably the 366mhz from the link you gave me ... guess I better watch out I don't accidentally pick up a logic board from a Firewire-less Clamshell ....

It's gonna be fun and games fitting it ... I've seen the iFixit tutorial and it seems like a job and a half! I might just practise taking it apart so far, then rebuilding it before moving a step closer to the logic board. If I went straight for the heart I know I may get stuck with fitting it all back together.

Just make sure you ground yourself before taking it apart, and, for god's sake, don't loose the screws! :)

I'll buy an anti-static wrist band cos I don't feel confident at the moment ... but I've plenty of time on my hands so I will be super-planning this one and thank god for the iFixit tutorials!

Do you know the difference between PC66/PC100/PC133 RAM? Are they all basically the same ... that's what I was told by someone on another forum ...

No, they are not the same. PCxxx designates the speed of the RAM, I believe. Some systems will work with different speeds, but Macs are picky. According to Crucial, your Clamshell (366) uses PC133 RAM, and earlier models use PC100 RAM.

Well you wouldn't believe it (or you might) ... I found a bootable OS 9 disc and the iBook G3 accepted it and I was able to boot up from this disc ....

Now, as I'd zeroed out the HD using Target Disc Mode, there is a problem with the installation not being able to continue as there is no volume to select for the installation and the OS 9 installer is asking me to mount one ... how would I do this?

Thanks eric2006, I've got it all sorted out now .... the casualty is the Apple RAM that was already installed before I decided to do the RAM upgrade .... so it's just the onboard 64mb for now until I get some more RAM for the upgrade to Panther again. When I do, I will make sure I take the battery out!

Back