Can't boot after using KVM switch

Gizmo15

Registered
Hi all,
I have an old G3 blue & white desktop, with OS 10.3 that I keep as a spare computer in the basement. I tried to connect that desktop to a kvm switch so that I could connect an (old) windows xp computer to the same monitor. Now, I can't boot the Mac. I was getting a blank, grey screen with nothing, and no startup sounds. I read about resetting the PRAM, and I did that. Now, I get the startup sound and the folder that alternately flashes from a question mark to the face. I tried restarting while holding down the "C" key with the mac disc in the drive. I also tried restarting holding down the shift key. I tried restarting with the keyboard and mouse disconnected. From what I've read in a few forums, my hard drive may be shot. I'm hoping this is not the case, especially since this happened right after I connected the KVM switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes. I removed the kvm. The monitor, keyboard and mouse are directly connected to the tower. It just won't boot at all.

Oh yes. I removed the kvm. The monitor, keyboard and mouse are directly connected to the tower. It just won't boot at all.

If you boot from CD/DVD (system disk) what happens than. Running disk utils to check the harddrive (and have problems fixed).

If it won't boot from the cd/dvd player (press C while turning on the computer and keep it pressed until the CD/DVD player is starting to be used for loading os x), you seem to have developped a hardware problem.

Good luck, Kees

I've tried booting while holding down the 'C' key. I get the grey screen with no other response. I never get into the system utilities to check the disk. Then I tried booting while holding down the 'shift' key. And I tried booting with the mouse and keyboard disconnected. And I tried resetting the PRAM. The only success I've had is that I went from absolutely nothing to receiving the flashing question mark/face after resetting the PRAM.
Is there anything else that I can try? I'm out of ideas.

You could try resetting the CUDA chip.

On the Logic Board, next to the battery there are two small buttons. The one closest to the battery is the CUDA button (S4). Disconnect the power cord. Press the CUDA button once for a second (only press once). Close it up and see if it boots.

OK, tried to reset with the CUDA method that you described. Still getting the same folder with the flashing face/question mark.

Back