Can't boot from 9.1 CD. Need Classic on X!!!

rformiga

Registered
I'm using Mac OS X.1 since it was released but I'm needing to install the Mac OS 9.1 for use in the Classic mode. The problem is that I can't boot from my 9.1 CD that was shipped with my iMac. What's the problem? It doesn't reconizes as a boot disk none of Classic CDs (tried 9.1 and 9.0). I'm pretty sure that these are working CDs. They are recognized by the Satup Disk control panel but they just won't boot. The same happens when I startup holding the "C" key. I need to boot to install the Classic.... Any help from guys?

Thanks in advance,
Roberto

that's really strange. i haven't had any problems booting from my 9.1 cd so far, i just did a defrag 90 minutes ago and all went well.

mmm... thank you guys but it didn't work at all. I zapped the PRAM (that keys you told me to be pressed at the startup), heard the two chimes. Restared it again and nothing happened. The strange thing is that it works perfectly with X and X.1 CDs!! Any more ideas? I'm definetly out of them...

if that doesn't work, put in your 9 disk and go to system prefs/starup disk and choose it as your boot disk and restart

(you mentioned startup recognized them, it's not clear to me that you tried selecting and restarting from there)

Yes, I tried it all, belive me. I select it from the Startup disk panel and choose to restart. It asked me if I was sure about changing my boot disk and I said yes and restarted. Didn't work. It tries to load the Os from the CD, but it fails and them return to the X system on my HD.

The "option" thing has also been tried unsucessfully. On the screen that appears for the startup disks to be selected my CD is not present. If I eject the OS 9 disk, put the X installation and click refresh, boom! The X CD appears as an option for booting. Tried to eject it and put the OS 9.0 (copy) and later the OS 9.0.4 (original), none of them appears for selecting after a refresh. Pretty strange!! It's like my iMac after the installation of X and all that Aqua thing, refuses to get back to old stuff! I must admit it has a strong personality! :)

Any more ideas, please!?

PS.: Sorry if I am making a few errors, ok? For those who doesn't know, english is not my native language.

Ack! I'm having the same problem. I get the flashy question icon when I try to start up from a System 9 CD (regardless of whether it's done by choosing it in the startup disk control panel or whether I hold down "c" during start-up or what.

Maybe this is a 10.1.2 bug???? (but I dont see why that should happen)

cpac

Back