Can't boot from CD on Ibook G4

I've tried everything I can think of. I'm trying to install mac os x, but no mac os I have will boot from cd. I've tried several mac os x disks including 10.2, 10.3. and 10.4. I've also tried the applecare techtools disk. The only cd that will boot on it is ubuntu ppc live cd. This is odd. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

What happens if you have an OS X CD in, then boot up while pressing the option key? That should give you a list of bootable devices. Is this a full-retail version of OS X, a machine-specific version, or perhaps a burned backup of OS X? What is the model of the iBook?

Option key shows the ubuntu cd, but not the mac os x cds.

How do you know if its a machine-specific version of mac os (which it may be). The mac os cds ive tried are: 10.1 (got it with a G4 tower a while ago, maybe machine specific), 10.2 is an upgrade version, and 10.3 and 10.4 are burned backups (the original 10.4 dvd broke but i made an iso image of it....how should it be burnt?).

You might also simply need to run a laser lens cleaner in your Mac to clean off any dust that may have accumulated on the laser lens. These are usually specially made CDs that have soft brush bristles sticking out of them and you should be able to get one at any office supply store, audio/video outlet (Best Buy, etc) or computer store.

Back