Can't boot off cloned drive! Driving...me...insane...

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
On my SP 1.25ghz G4 I'm trying to clone my drive - I'm trying to move from the original 80GB drive to a 120GB drive that I have. I don't want to have the 80GB drive in my system.

I'm running 10.3.4 on the system. I've tried cloning the disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and with Disk Utility's Restore option, which complete with no errors. I can select the disk as a valid boot volume in Startup Disk.

However, I can't boot off the volume! If I select the 120GB disk in Startup Disk, it just boots off of the 80GB. If I remove the 80GB the system just sits at the blinking question mark during boot. If I boot while holding down ALT, it only displays the 80GB disk as a valid boot option.

So far I've wasted the majority of my Saturday on this, so I'm not in the best mood =)

Is it possible that these G4s can't boot from a volume larger than a certain size, kind of like older systems couldn't boot off of a volume larger than 8GB?

I've checked the jumpers on the new WD drive. It's on its own IDE bus, and it's set as "single". However, I've tried setting it as master and slave as well. I've also tried moving it onto different busses (including the IDE bus that the 80GB drive is on)

I've reset PRAM several times. Even booted into Open Firmware and reset things there.

I've tried blessing the volume manually with the "bless" command.

I've cloned the drive now a total of about 5 times, each of which take forever. I've tried both erasing drive beforehand, and not.

I've done full repairs on BOTH drives with Disk Utility AND DiskWarrior 10.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong???

Thanks,
Rip

Ripcord said:
On my SP 1.25ghz G4 I'm trying to clone my drive - I'm trying to move from the original 80GB drive to a 120GB drive that I have. I don't want to have the 80GB drive in my system.

I'm running 10.3.4 on the system. I've tried cloning the disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and with Disk Utility's Restore option, which complete with no errors. I can select the disk as a valid boot volume in Startup Disk.

However, I can't boot off the volume! If I select the 120GB disk in Startup Disk, it just boots off of the 80GB. If I remove the 80GB the system just sits at the blinking question mark during boot. If I boot while holding down ALT, it only displays the 80GB disk as a valid boot option.

So far I've wasted the majority of my Saturday on this, so I'm not in the best mood =)

Is it possible that these G4s can't boot from a volume larger than a certain size, kind of like older systems couldn't boot off of a volume larger than 8GB?

I've checked the jumpers on the new WD drive. It's on its own IDE bus, and it's set as "single". However, I've tried setting it as master and slave as well. I've also tried moving it onto different busses (including the IDE bus that the 80GB drive is on)

I've reset PRAM several times. Even booted into Open Firmware and reset things there.

I've tried blessing the volume manually with the "bless" command.

I've cloned the drive now a total of about 5 times, each of which take forever. I've tried both erasing drive beforehand, and not.

I've done full repairs on BOTH drives with Disk Utility AND DiskWarrior 10.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong???

Thanks,
Rip

These are probably dumb questions, but I'll ask them anyway.
Is your CCC version 2.3?
In CCC's preferences, did you check to make the cloned drive bootable?

Matt

Back