Can't change generic "Open with" setting

genecutl

Registered
I have been unable to change the "Open with application" default setting for generic files.

I would like to set it to BBEdit, so I select BBEdit in the Info window (where, btw, the Type and Creator are listed as "Document" and "Not available", respectively). That works fine. But when I click "Change All...", I first get asked if I'm sure, and told that the change will apply to all documents with type "????". If I click "Continue", I get: "The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -50)".

I tried getting rid of my Library/Preferences/.LS* files, in case one of the files was screwed up, but that didn't help. This also happens for any app I choose, not just BBEdit.

Sounds like the problem is that OS X doesn't know what type of file you're trying to work with, hence the "????."
Try adding ".txt" to the file name, and see if that does the trick.

I have tried that (i didn't knew it) and it worked fine with files with extension. I assume that the problem is that the files you are trying to modify don't have a extension. The extension is a data the OS needs to make the changes.
Bye!

PD: This is my first message :)

Back