Can't click desktop icons or use Dock

ajinlondon

Registered
tried everything (i can think of) created new user, used utility
i can't click on any desktop icons or use the dock
help

What happens if you do click on the icon? does it highlight it and you just cant open? or does it refuse to do even that?

What happens if you click and hold on a dock icon, do you still get a list popping up?

nothing happens, i can only access items through the bar along the top, f11 does nothing. when i load the settings for dashboard/expose it rejects the settings. (appears then goes)

i can't see the dock at all

my only thoughts are some process is running despite restarting, if thats possible?

It's odd because the desktop is a different process from the Dock/Dashboard (not sure about exposé)

You could try to open terminal and type*
Code:
killall Dock
to reset that process

Or

Code:
killall Finder

To reset the desktop etc.

Is dock running there?

threads are wierd, I kinda half learnt about them in computing A-level, it's a way of processes sharing RAM resources (or something like that)

Nope it's just called Dock.

That could be your problem there.

Try going HD>System>Library>CoreServices>Dock and opening that one.

tap tap tap
"computer says .... no"

clicked it and was acknowledged i did, it did that zoom image thingy, and nothing happened.

Well I'm guessing that that means that something is stopping the dock from launching.

Have you checked your disk permissions?

Installed any 3rd party software recently? particulary anything which might have an effect on the dock?*

I cant think of anything else that might be causing it at the moment.

The only thing I can think of is a reinstall, but someone else might have another idea. I'm too tired, need to go sleep lol.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Back