Cant connect to the Internet my routers IP address is still showing up?

Flow

Registered
I just got a Mac as a christmas present, and I love it. But finding tech support has been just sooo bad. I was orignally using a Belkin router, but as of friday I have not been able to connect to the internet. I called my cable provider and they had me unplug my router and connect directly to my modem. But now they are saying that they are not pulling an IP address for it. My network preferences TCP/IP show an IP address 192.168.100.2 which is supposedly latched to my router? Yet no one was able to tell me how to fix this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I had similar problems when I upgraded to DSL. One thing I learned, (for my router anyway) was 1) connect the computer, router and modem as per the instructions 2) Type the router address into the browser. This should pull up a preferences type Web page directly from the router where you can then set/test several key items. 3) If you can't find the correct settings, there should also be a way to Reset your connection, from that page. Worked for me anyway, got both my Mac and PC dinosaur running within 20 minutes.

Good luck

I would piss off the Belkin router just to test the basics.
The less pieces of equipment the easier it is to pin-point the problem. Plug your mac straight into your modem and see if you get internet, make sure your mac is set to connect via DHCP on whatever your connecting with (Ethenet, in System prefrences), it should be set to DHCP unless someone has set it up differently. If you get internet then the problem is your router, maybe just needs a reset or some settings changed.

I thought Belkin used the default address of 192.168.2.100...hmm anyway see what happens.

Back