can't connect wirelessly

x3matt

Registered
I just got a new Imac and I am trying to connect wirelessly to the internet. I have a new wireless router and my airport icon (top right of the screen) shows full signal strength. The problem is that safari and explorer both do not want to get on the internet. I keep getting server not available. What could the problem be. Sometimes Safari will get through and connect, but most of the time it won't. I am new to this, and mac support hasn't helped a lot. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.
Log into the webinterface of your router and check if your WAN (internet connection) is connected and stays so. If so, check if you have any MAC filters on.
How does everything work when you plug your iMac directly to the ethernet port of your router?

This is also a known problem with the original Airport Base Station (and possibly other versions too). Sometimes it will loose the connection between the wireless and wired networks. On those occassions you'll have full signal strength for Airport, but no connection to the internet.

The only solution I've come up with so far is to restart the base station, ie unplug the power and plug it back in.

Thanks guys, The computer is actually my fathers and I am just trying to figure this problem out for him from another state! As soon as he gets home from work I will share all of this with him. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks, Matt

Zammy-Sam said:
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.
Log into the webinterface of your router and check if your WAN (internet connection) is connected and stays so. If so, check if you have any MAC filters on.
How does everything work when you plug your iMac directly to the ethernet port of your router?

How do I get to the webinterface of the router. Sorry, I am new to this. As for the direct ethernet, that didn't work either. I expected that it would. Is the problem in the router? Matt

I mean, which brand and model does the router have, e.g. Netgear, D-Link, Linksys or Apple Airport Basestation and the Version. Simply check the router and post everything you can find on it. ;)

Check to see if you are getting assigned an IP address. You can have a solid connection but not be assigned an IP address. Go to Preferences/network/status to see.

Chuck

cnk_coleman said:
Check to see if you are getting assigned an IP address. You can have a solid connection but not be assigned an IP address. Go to Preferences/network/status to see.

Chuck

There is a IP address assigned, but it keeps switching between two, we tried to change it manually, but it still won't get on the internet with safari.

Open your browser and type in: http://192.168.0.1
Now you have access to the routers software. Go to status and check the text around WAN. Does it say connected? On the left banner you will find a button saying log. Post your log file in this forum hiding sensitive information such as MAC addresses or computer names.

My father has decided to scrap the wireless network and just have the cable moved to the new room. Thank you to all of you who offered suggestions. The D-Link product just did not want to work with the iMac. Thanks again, Matt

Actually the dlink routers are quite good and work with any system (windows, mac and linux). I would propose you to read the manual carefully. It's really simple but depands on some detailed settings.

Back