Can't Connect With My Buddy In Isight (ichat Video) Anymore

Barb 36

Registered
I used the iSight last school-year to meet up with my son living in Chicago (me in Brussels) but since September it just won't work anymore.
We can both connect to "appleu3test01", I upgraded the router (not a techie person at all.... but anyhow I managed), but still we can only text-chat with each other. No video, and audio only sometimes, or just one way.
I've been through Ralph's site with all the techie explanations, did as much as I could, or understood, but no luck.
As I am a MAC fan (totally) I really get annoyed, why this difficulties.... it used to "just work" (one of the reasons I chose Mac), so what's up?
I read about the Tiger issues, but that does not concern me or my son as we still use Panther both.
What I really don't get, is that we both CAN connect to the tester "appleu3test01" bur can't connect to each other.
Always get the message "Buddy did not respond" but that is not true, he (or me) DID respond.
The only thing that changed is his connection as he moved this year, and I thought something was wrong with that, but as he can connect with "appleu3test01" I don't think so.... What did we not understand? (we don't have any firewall on either, and don't use some anti-virus).
iChat is version 2.1
Could you help?
I would really appreciate as this is my way to communicate with my son over the ocean...

Well, my router is a Modem-Router (Netopia) so I can't take it out of the picture (or am I totally wrong...), but maybe you mean that I should try connecting with a cable and not use Airport. I did, and can still connect to the testaccounts, but now I have to check with my son. I will also tell him to get his router out of the picture. It might take some time before I can reach him and check, but I'll be back, and thanks a lot for trying to help!
Barbara

Well, bypass Airport and see if that heps.

Don't know the Netopia, not sure if the router could be turned off or not, or completely disable it's firewall. Check the documentation that came with it, or their web site.

Been a while... but I've been trying all kinds of possibilities, and this is what I found so far...
I tried to connect with Ralph Johns, and it worked. That makes me think that the problem is not on my side.
(testaccounts are OK, but it seems you could have difficulties with other connections, even if it works with the testaccounts)
It seems to be my son's connection from Chicago.(Comcast and Linksys modem...router)
There seems to be a big problem with the Comcast connection, not only for iChat but the connection itself. Sometimes they have connection, sometimes not, and when they have connection, it is a bad connection.
The last time I tried to connect with my son, the technicien from Comcast was right there beside my son, (trying to fix their problem) so he tried to help us as well, but no success.
Well, I'm now wondering if this is a known issue.... is Comcast known to have frequent problems?
If so, could anybody suggest a reliable internet provider in US (Chicago)
Thanks so far for the help I already received here. It's really great!

Back