Can't copy files to alias

mguilfoile

Registered
OS 10.3.9
G5/2.5gig
2gig RAM

I created an alias folder and placed it on my desktop. The original folder is nested several folders deep on a partition and having the alias folder on the desktop allows me to copy files to it from CDs easily. That is, it would if it worked as it did in OS9. When I try to drag a file into the alias it does not "go". What am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

MGuilfoile

Try this -
01. Trash the 'Desktop' based alias.
02. Navigate to the deeply nested folder.
03. Select and drag the nested folder onto the lower portion of the 'Dock'.
04. Try dragging a file, folder, or combination from anywhere - onto the now 'Dock' based nested folder icon.

Reply with your results.

Well, that works, but I don't want to put the folder on the dock. I want to put it on the desktop and have it behave like a normal folder. Am I to understand that, relative to OS9, the alias feature has been disabled and objects cannot be copied into alias folders anymore? That seems like an awfully big problem that I hope Apple is working on. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

What do you mean by it does not go? I just made an alias folder on my desktop and it did all the springy and foldery things I could think of. The only difference was the little arrow badge in the corner. I am running 10.4 but I can't imagine anyone not making a stink about them not working before.

Yes, that is why I was asking what I was doing wrong; such a big defect would have raised a real "stink". My alias, however, does not do all the "springy and foldery (sic) things" for me. Before I do any morre troubleshooting, is there anyone using OS10.3.9 whose alias folders behave as they do under Tiger?

Thanks,

MGuilfoile

'... I want to put it (an alias) on the desktop and have it behave like a normal folder.' - I understand that. I just did not want to present too many possibilities at once.

'Am I to understand that ... the alias feature has been disabled and objects cannot be copied into alias folders anymore?', no - you should be able to have a 'Desktop' based folder 'alias', and be able to interact with it, as if it were the original folder. Apple has yet to remove that feature, just give them some time.

Now, please be specific and tell us - just how did you create the 'Desktop' based 'alias'?

----

With respect to '... I just made an alias folder on my desktop and it did all the springy and foldery things I could think of.', the 'springy' action applies - only if the ['Finder's 'Finder, Preferences...' menu item's, 'General' tab's] 'Spring-loaded folders and windows' check box has a check mark applied to it.

With respect to '... is there anyone using OS10.3.9 whose alias folders behave as they do under Tiger? ...', there is no difference in the folder actions of 'Panther' (10.3.x) and 'Tiger' (10.4.x).

Here's how I made the alias:

I went to the original folder and highlighted it.
Selected File, Make Alias
Dragged the alias file to the desktop, which made a copy to the desktop because my System is on a different partition.
I went back to the source folder and deleted the orginal alias file (which I did not need)
I can access files in the desktop alias, but cannot copy to it.

Curiously, before I deleted it, the alias on the same partition as the original behaved as a regular folder: copying, springing, etc. It seems moving the alias to a different partition disabled the ablility to copy files to it. Does that make sense? Seems weird.

MGuilfoile

I booted to MacOS X 10.3.4 and 10.3.9, performed your 'alias' creation steps, and noted your experiences.

The solution:

01. Trash the 'Desktop' 'alias', and empty the trash.
02. Locate the original folder you want an 'alias' of.
03. Press and keep pressed the 'Command <option>' keys, as you click on the original folder, and drag it to the 'Desktop'.
04. After positioning the ghost image of the orginal folder, over the 'Desktop' - release the mouse button and the 'Command <option>' keys.

You now have a single 'alias' with the proper reference to the original folder.

Back