Can't decide what to buy - help!

paulie-mafia

Registered
Hi All

Need some help - my G3 800 ibook is no more, having accidentally met my foot and the living room floor while running across the room... I'm probably going to have to buy a new computer as my insurance won't cover it, but I'm torn as to what I should go for. I don't tend to use my laptop outside of the house anymore, though I do like to have the option.

I'm looking at either a reconditioned (25% off!) 12" PowerBook with SuperDrive or waiting for a new G5 iMac 17" with SuperDrive. It's a case of portability vs the latest technology...

What a conundrum to have!

Any opinions?!

Cheers!
P-M :)

If you are going to buy a new mac, I would recommend the latest hardware which speaks for the new G5 iMac. I think it will still be cheaper than a refurbished 12'' powerbook.

if portability, ibook. as a powerbook won't like drops.

how surely not working is it now? not starting? any noise? hard drive gone? screen gone? it may not be dead.

Giaguara said:
how surely not working is it now? not starting? any noise? hard drive gone? screen gone? it may not be dead.
Sounds like a Monty Python bit. "I'm not dead yet!"

Owning a laptop implies more caution and awareness. If/when I have kids I wouldn't want expensive equipment to be around for them to break. iMacs is a nice medium between portability and power, but maintanence will be more difficult: if the screen goes, the whole machine has to be taken in for repairs, whereas a tower can go in parts. Laptops same story.

Go for the iMac. (It wouldn't be too hard to move around either if need be.)

Thanks all - it's gonna be a 17" G5 imac with 512mb RAM, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, airport express. Only downside is the 3-4 week build time... :(

Back