Can't Delete All of Trash Even with Trash It

vienna01

Registered
Trash It deleted almost all of my trash. There are about 8 files that look like Windows 7 files that I haven't been able to delete.
Suggestions
TRASH It is never the less a wonderful little app!.

THANKS FOR REPLY

Sorry that did not do it. Still have those un-deleted items.
Strangle the clicking sound that indicates operation completed on my Mac sounds indicating TRASH was emptied.

IS THERE A WAY TO USE TERMINAL TO ZAP THESE?

Here are a few suggestions from the news group comp.sys.mac.misc, found in what used to be deja news:

Most items stuck in the trash can can be removed by dragging them to the
desktop and then putting them back in the trash.

You can also use BatChmod, a freeware GUI app that will empty the trash
for you.

Open terminal. Type the following:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Enter your password and hit return. That should do it.

Or:

sudo rm -ri /Volumes/*/{.Trash,.Trashes}

It'll prompt you to verify your actions. Type 'y' for yes or 'n' for no.
To turn off verification, just change -ri to -r

Here are a few suggestions from the news group comp.sys.mac.misc, found in what used to be deja news:

I tried both commands "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* "
and "sudo rm -ri /Volumes/*/{.Trash,.Trashes}"
using the terminal.
Neither worked, unfortunately, even though the second one seemed to work by asking for verification, then permission to delete.

I was not able to copy/move these undeletable files to the desktop as suggested[using drag & drop.

Using Terminal-
I also deleted the hidden .Trash file for the only user [me].
I also deleted .Trashes
I then logged out & logged back in.

When I logged back in, the TRASH can icon EMPTIED with the accompanying sound. STRANGELY- But when I opened [using right click] the TRASH folder; all the files & folders were still there and the TRASH icon refilled.
I wonder where these files reappeared that in the Trash came from??? Does OSX have a Recycling Program?;)

I have several partitions on 2 hard drives with both OSX 10.6.7 and Windows 7 on this Hackintosh [maybe I should have said that before-Sorry] The undeletable files and folders seem to come from the WIN 7 install [they are files on the WIN 7 install].

Just to explain a bit more[I don't know what might be important]
Drive A, Partition #1= Main OSX install Drive "A" is an Internal HDD.
Drive A, Partition #2 = Time Machine, backing up Partition #1
Drive A, Partition #3 = OSX DATA,
Drive A ,Partition #4 = Experimental copy of Partition #1.
On another Internal HDD [Drive "B"] in same PC, a Win 7 is installed by itself.

Additionally I have an EXTERNAL HDD [Drive C] with a backup up copy of my main OSXinstall that is on HDD "A" Partition #1 Backup was created using Super Duper.
I use a BOOT LOADER called Chameleon to get to the different partitions.

I think the Windows 7 type files got into the TRASH earlier when I failed to exclude the Win 7 volume from Time Machine. I don't recall deleting those files to the Trash however. I did later exclude the Win 7 install files from Time Machine. Maybe they were "trashed" automatically then.

ANYONE- SUGGESTIONS HOW TO DELETE THESE FEW FOLDERS & FILES from the TRASH. They don't seem to cause any harm though.

<snip>

I have several partitions on 2 hard drives with both OSX 10.6.7 and Windows 7 on this Hackintosh [maybe I should have said that before-Sorry] The undeletable files and folders seem to come from the WIN 7 install [they are files on the WIN 7 install].

Just to explain a bit more[I don't know what might be important]
Drive A, Partition #1= Main OSX install Drive "A" is an Internal HDD.
Drive A, Partition #2 = Time Machine, backing up Partition #1
Drive A, Partition #3 = OSX DATA,
Drive A ,Partition #4 = Experimental copy of Partition #1.
On another Internal HDD [Drive "B"] in same PC, a Win 7 is installed by itself.

Additionally I have an EXTERNAL HDD [Drive C] with a backup up copy of my main OSXinstall that is on HDD "A" Partition #1 Backup was created using Super Duper.
I use a BOOT LOADER called Chameleon to get to the different partitions.

I think the Windows 7 type files got into the TRASH earlier when I failed to exclude the Win 7 volume from Time Machine. I don't recall deleting those files to the Trash however. I did later exclude the Win 7 install files from Time Machine. Maybe they were "trashed" automatically then.

ANYONE- SUGGESTIONS HOW TO DELETE THESE FEW FOLDERS & FILES from the TRASH. They don't seem to cause any harm though.

Whoa! You've gone way beyond my ability to help.

I do have a suggestion, and it is this. Old-fashioned Internet news groups are, in my opinion, much better venues than these Web forums. News groups are organized differently, and you are likely to get more eyes reading your question. To access a news group you need a news reader, which Apple regrettably does not provide with OS X.

So I suggest you get a news reader (Mozilla Thunderbird is not my favorite news reader, but it works), go to comp.sys.mac.system, and lay out your problem there. Include all the gory details that are in your last post.

Good luck.

Hey, download "ONYX " app.: it's free and it has a sect. To empty the trash can. In my use of it, it trashed anything and everything I could not get rid of using all other methods.
The app. Will do many other things, use with caution!
DICKSTER-----

As another solution: if it's a hackintosh, you should be able to boot from a live CD like Ubuntu or a USB disk or something; from there, you could delete anything from the drive including the .trash / .trashes file.

Have you tried moving the files OUT of the trash? It seems to me that there may be more going on than a simple deletion. If you can't modify the files by moving them out, then they may be file system locked in some way that the OS can't change.

Back