Can't eject disk images and no right click eject option?

Spiral Girl

Registered
Hi,

Lately I've been having this problem with either Firefox or Safari and I download something and the dmg extracts and I'm left with the white casing shell where the app is housed and it won't eject. I can't eject it from finder but dumping it to the trash from finder took it off the sidebar. I can't get them off my desktop unless I restart my Mac.

I've noticed now that along with disk images not mounting for me anymore. My external drive images or DVD's won't eject either.

When I use right click with Mighty Mouse I don't even see an option anymore to eject that image. Is there any solution out there to fix this glitch? The work around I'm using is unmounting or ejecting images or disks from Disk Utility.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? I'm using Leopard 10.5.2 and am on an intel iMac.

S.

Last edited:
eric2006,

Thanks, I'm using that work around right now with Disk Utility so thanks for the link. I've tried the Force Quit in Finder but that does nothing and neither does a reboot. Also the app PathFinder will allow me to eject external drives as well, haven't tried it yet with Disk Images.

It's just frustrating that's all but at least I'm not alone.

S.

The even weirder part is that I can use my other sign in username account and can do all this with no problems so it must be something with my system. How do I figure it out?

S.

Have you tried trashing Finder's plist or other plists that might relate to mounting in /users/you/library/preferences ?

eric2006,

Yes, I dumped the finder.plist and the sidebarlist.plist and no change. Also dumped TechToolPro that was incompatible with Leopard. Ran this app called Preferential Treatment to check plist files and after dumping the ones it mentioned were at fault it said all was fine. I left the Preference folder and moved all the plists to my external partition then dumped everything in there and signed out and back in again and I still had the problem so I know it's not in the Preference file of my user library.

S.

Last edited:
eric2006,

So yesterday I did the full re-install of Leopard so frustrated by this eject problem. It drives me nuts to have a computer problem that can't be solved so I keep plugging away until it's fixed. After the complete install and backing up my bunged up system (I know bad idea but I tried anyway) I chose the install with user preference and of course it didn't work.

My next step was going to be to install from another partition that didn't have the problem but was older and I was going to have to move a bunch of stuff over to make it current. Yadda yadda yadda.

Then I notice a new problem cropping up where I don't see DVD's show up on my desktop and come to realize I'm missing a bunch of options under my Finder tab. So I figure if I solve that I solve the rest of it.

A big thanks go out to DeltaMac for steering me in the right direction which was that I had accidentallly turned off these things in Onyx which I don't remember doing. So here is what I did:

All you have to do is download Onyx here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

Then open up Onyx and go to OnyX/Parameters/Finder
put a check in the box next to Show Preferences item, Show Empty Trash, Show Quit item, and Show Eject item and whatever else you want. You have to do them each individually though and wait for the prompt. Then item log out and back in again and everything should be back to normal.

S.

I was so elated last night when this all worked for me. I was doing the happy dance.

Onyx worked for me, too. I already had it installed and had probablye disabled the 'Eject' menu item earlier. I did some testing, and it seems that when you disable the menu item, you can't eject a disk (image) by means of dragging to trash or [COMMAND] + E. When enabled, all works fine!!!

Back