Can't enable "root"

Wafa

Registered
I attempted today to login as root; taking into account that I have not logged in before as root, I launched Net info in order to enable "root". After I typed in my password and selected "enable root user" in the Domain menu: I was surprised to get Netinfo Error which states "NetInfo write failed ! (Operation succeeded)". After pressing OK on the error box it came an alert box which says "You must re-authenticate to make additional changes".

I would very much appreciate if anybody could help me to correct this very odd behavior. It should be noted however, that since I installed OS X 10.1 and upgraded it to OS X 10.1 . 2 I have not attempted to enable "roo"t.

Just to check on what happened I launched Console and in the Log file I found the following text

"2002-02-05 20:34:58.495 NetInfo Manager[461]Could not find image named `delete'"
"Feb 5 20:36:02 c netinfod local[210]: Remote user [my name] may not modify domain"

Any advise

Originally posted by testuser
Have you done anything like change the permissions or owner of files for your whole drive?

Have you run any OS X disk utilities to make sure your disk is ok?

I have not made any changes to permissions or owners of files on my disk; but I did run DiskWarrior and find nothing wrong with the disk itself. So I am still stuck with the same problem.

why do you want to use the root account? it is not recommended to use it on a working system because of security stuff. apple has therefore developed the adminstrator account! sudo should really do all you need...

Originally posted by testuser
Have you tried this just once? Or does this happen every time you try to enable root?

Is your drive partitioned? Are any of the partitions nearly full?

You can also try enabling root using the Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities). Give the following command:
sudo passwd root

a- It did happen every time I launch Netinfo and to try to enabled the root.

b- Today and to my surprise I tried to login, also using Net info, with the name "root" as user and used the password for "root" instead of mine, it worked fine without a hitch.

Back