Can't get clear logo on web (favicon)

kbkim

Registered
I'm trying to reduce my logo for the web and to also add it as a favicon.

Is there something I should know about reducing to a small size (16X16 pixels) because my logo never comes out clearly on the web.

I know there's a program for Windows to convert your file to an ".ico" (for the favicon) but how about for Mac? I just saved my logo as a .jpg and then renamed the file extension name before uploading it. Is that my problem?

Even for small icons, I see so many on the web that come out clearly.

??

FavIcons, being miniscule, are inherently difficult to read. If your logo is not square, it also won't scale well to the size.

As per how you're producing the ICO file: that's just craziness. An ICO is a special kind of bitmap (which supports binary transparency). You can't just call a JPEG an ICO, they're completely different kinds of files.

GraphicConverter can save ICO files (make sure they're 16x16 with 256 colours or less).

If you have Photoshop, you can download "ICO format" from http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ for free to support ICO files in Photoshop.

If you don't, have a search around on VersionTracker.com for ICO creators.

If, after much effort you can't find a solution that suits you, upload your logo here and I (or someone else) will gladly convert it to an ICO file for you.

Back