Can't get email working

Torslander

Registered
Hi all, new Mac Mini convert here in the UK, loving the machine but completely unable to get email connectivity. I've tried Eudora and Thunderbird, but there seems to be some problem with the computer settings - I keep being asked to enter my password after clicking Send for a completed message. The system connects to the email server, at which point the password problem arises, so it's not a lack of Internet connectivity or a failure to connect to the server.

I've tried hotmail and yahoo accounts through Eudora and Thunderbird, to no avail. I've emailed Thunderbird who told me to check Authentication wasn't checked, which it wasn't. I've surfed the web for similar problems and found nothing. I've asked dyed-in-the-wool Mac users, who have no idea why the Mac Mini isn't plugging and playing. I've even checked that my ISP (BT Yahoo Broadband) is okay - apparently they're the best in the country for Mac users. So what am I doing wrong?

To clarify the specific problem, Thunderbird comes up with the message Enter Mail Server Password (which I presume will be the password I enter to access my email account through my email provider webpages on Firefox and Safari, or on a PC) and when I enter the password, the password box just keeps coming back again and again... and when it eventually fails, I get the following error message:

"The message could not be sent as connection to SMTP server [insert server name here] failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connnections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct [it is] and try again or else contact your network administrator [great if I had one!]

Please help before I run out of hairs to rip out...

Many thanks

Neil C.

Hotmail and Yahoo are web-based email. You can, however, access Microsoft's Hotmail if you use Microsoft's Entourage 2004. I don't know about BT Yahoo, but plain old Yahoo requires special care. There is a plug-in for the MacOS X built-in Mail client. As a general rule, most ISPs have a technical support web page which will show you how to setup their services on your machine. Why don't you try the technical support web page for BT Yahoo Broadband?

Hi Torslander
Like you, I'm a new Mini user, and I've just had a password problem too. If you've used Entourage, it may just have changed your email password to be the same as your Mac password. That seems to be what happened to me - at any rate I'm bloody sure I didn't change it on purpose. If your Mac pw doesn't work you may have to go to the ISP for help. Best of luck.

Back