Can't get mail using Mail app on my MacBook (Mac OS X 10.4.7)

ivanklabukov

Registered
Hello,

I have a problem - I can't get emails via Mail app on my Mac. Which is very strange, because I have my AirPort connection on and everything (but Mail) works fine - Safari, and all these applications which are getting information on the Internet. Another very weird thing is that I have another mail client (Thunderbird by Mozilla) and it is also works fine.

I have two types of Email Boxes - .Mac and POP (one of them is GMail and the other is Yandex which is not using SSL connection). So I have three email boxes
1. .Mac account
2. POP (GMail) - using SSL
3. POP (Yandex) - w/o SSL

I have the same properties in Mail.app and Thunderbird for these 3 boxes.

I tried to use Mail Connection Doctor in Mail app and it says that it Couldn't connect to this POP server (in case of third email box - POP, w/o SSL). Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the account preferences. "Assist me..." tries to check if my internet connection is OK - and in the end of this wizards - it says what it is ok.

Also, when Im trying to get my mail (by pressing Get Mail button in Mail app) is shows me an Alert:
---
There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "ivan@russianit.ru" or try again.

The server error encountered was: The connection to the server "mail.izhnet.ru" on port 0 timed out.
---

Why port 0 ?!

And another weird thing - everything worked fine few days ago. I've just updated my OS X from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and register my .Mac account. That is all.

ALSO, I tried to Turn off my AirPort connection and switched on the Ethernet (PPPoE) connection. And in this case everything works fine - Mail app now is able to get mails from the boxes. WHY?!

Questions:
1. Does anyone have the same problems like I do? Please help - I want to use Mail app (as I said my Thunderbird works fine now)
2. Where can I find Mail app logs?
3. Where can I find and set properties (extended pops, not Mail/Properties... form) of my email boxes - I just want to be sure if it is correct port of POP and SMTP servers.

Thank you.

Ivan Klabukov.

Yes, I have the same problem. Mine is an IMAP account, but using an SMTP server is not affected by the account type.

I have the same settings for Thunderbird and Mail.app, but Mail.app times out on port 0.

I had given up on Mail.app a while ago, but wanted to revisit it. I guess it's still just broken.

Possible fix:

Fortunately, I have control over the remote smtp server. I had been tyring to connect on port 465 (which works with thunderbird), and simply started another server on port 25 with the same configuration.

When I canged mail.app to connect on port 25 instead of 465 it worked. This looks like it can only be a symptom of a massive bug in Mail.app.

Ivan, what port are you trying to use for smtp?

Telling true, I fixed it already - Mail app works fine now. In my case it's all because of Mac OS X 10.4.7 update where you are able now to get mail via SOCKS. So, all you need to do, possible, is to disable SOCKS proxy in System Preferences > Network > (Your connection type) > Proxies > disable SOCKS Proxy.

Tell me if it will help.

disable SOCKS Proxy.

Tell me if it will help.

YES! it helped! thanks very much ;)

problem occured in the following setting: upgraded my powerbook last night (finally) from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7; this morning i couldn't connect to our mailserver in the office anymore (using imap). always got the message about timeout while connecting server on port zero (instead of port 143).

Today my Mail stopped being able to get emails from my mail server, with same error message as Ivan. I tried using both Airport and Ethernet connections. I had not changed any settings and the emails were visible in our webmail interface as well as my Blackberry, but Mail could not retrieve them.

Then for some reason it worked again but very slowly. But then I got the same error message again.

I looked in the Network and checked the "Proxies" section of my location, but I could not see how to disable SOCKS. I can only check the SOCKS box and set in up. Where can I disable it?

Back