Can't get past initial setup

randall

Registered
Hi there-

I'm running a PowerMac 9600, 256meg, and a 266Mhz G3 card running dual monitors on the original IXM TwinTurbo card and an IXM Ultamite Rez (Twin Turbo) 3D card. I am connected to the Internet via RoadRunner cable modem (DHCP). I installed MacOS X PB on an internal 4gig drive on which OS 9.04 was also present. The install went off without a hitch (more or less), and the dual monitors seem to work without any trouble.

When my machine booted OS X for the first time (and all subsuquent times), it runs the initial configuration setup application. I fill in all the information that it asks for and click "Go Ahead" - save settings. The progress bar advances to about 15%-20%, then goes no further.

Things I have tried:
• forcing quit the setup assistant and trying again
• rebooting and trying again
• shutting down the machine and tyring again
• setting network to DHCP
• setting network to BootP
• manually entering network settings
• setting "not connected" to a network

Does anyone know what is preventing the setup application from finishing its job? Has anyone seen this symptom before, and/or knows of a work around?

-Randall

Hi !

Seems your not alone after all..
I've got the same problem:

When my machine booted OS X for the first time (and all subsuquent times), it runs the initial configuration setup application. I fill in all the information that it asks for and click "Go Ahead" - save settings. The progress bar advances to about 15%-20%, then goes no further.

Only that my machine has some different hardware.
Beige G3, rev2, OWC 450 G3 Zif, ATI 128/16 Orion
160 Mb Ram, IBM 7200rpm Ultrastar disk
Pioneer Slot-in x10/40 (104-S)
Plextor CDRW 12/4/32

Removing hardware doesn't help.

My next move is to find out how to disable "Setup Assistant" after restart. Booting in (S) single mode works fine, hope I can fix whatever's wrong from the shell.

-pi

After a few more tries, I got it running...

I decided to start from scratch again in hopes that this would solve my problem. I ran the installer and told it to erase and format the disk before instalation. The instalation got about 90% done, then showed a dialog that there was an error and to try installing again. I tried again as sugested, but ran into the same problem.

Next, I booted from another drive to OS 8.6, and formated the drive with Apple's Drive Setup v.1.7.2. When I ran the installer this time, it was after the installer had completed "checking media", that told me that there were problems with the disk.

Not wanting to give up, I went back to 8.6, formated the disk with FWB Hard Drive Toolkit 2.x, then used Alsoft's PlusMaker (http://alsoft.com)to get the drive from HFS to HFS+. When I ran the System disk application from the OS X install CD, it did give me an error, but I ignored it and kept going. This time around, the install when fine, and there was no problem completing the Setup Assistant.

Now that I'm past that, I have a few other things to sort out, such as how do I get my other two SCSI hard drives to mount under OS X, and how can I get some sound happening? Guess I'll make hunt around a bit and then make some more posts.

Good luck,

-Randall

Lucky you !

In single user mode fsck says everything is fine.
Still it won't get passed some 20-25% of setup assistants final config. Im writing this on a 7600/G3 upgrade running the same Beta, here the only problem was the lack of kernel-support for my scsi-card, a ForMac UW. and...
the bug with ATI 128 (cant boot with the card installed).

Will try another disk when I get my hands on one.

Cheers

-pi

Back