can't get to open firmware

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
i have a digital audio with an upgraded cpu and video card, and use a microsoft keyboard. i start up my mac, and as soon as it has bonged, i hold down command, option, O, and F and it turns the screen off, then back on, and then goes to the select boot disk mode. what am i doing wrong to get to the open firmware?

The command and option keys are reversed on windows style keyboards.

The question is, whether the keyboard is mapped correctly before the OS loads. It sounds like it is not.

You may have to check the Apple Support discussion forums for hints (if any are to be found).
Google might work too. Try the search terms: keyboard open firmware OS X
Omit the "OS X" reference on the Apple forums (obviously).

My guess is that you will need to have an apple keyboard to get to Open Firmware since those keys are mapped by default?

Since you have to hold down both Cmd and Opt, this shouldn't matter, though. I'd hold them down even before the gong if possible...

i did try before the gong, and it gave me a x'ed out folder until i let go, then it booted to my startup drive. i just wonder if this ms keyboard isn't sending all the keys at once. but then again, i have done the pram reset with it, i think.

I often hold the keys down in the same order that I say them, but fairly quickly so it's nearly simultaneous.
Try holding them down in a slightly different order (might have to try each one twice to rule out bad timing :p )

Option-command-p-r
etc.

I use the left command-option pair almost exclusively.

Or get an Apple keyboard for this task specifically. Someone might lend you his/hers for 5 minutes...

Or get an Apple keyboard for this task specifically. Someone might lend you his/hers for 5 minutes...

i'll have to find one. problem is that i'm an only mac user in a sea of pc guys. and the only one i know that i can get my hands on is in fact mine, but i gave it to my brother to use with the mac he got, and i almost never see him. i might just have to hunt one down at a surplus store or thrift shop.

Back