Can't get Ubuntu to use internet in Q (kju)!!!

fixr

Registered
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 in my mac in Q (CPU emulator) but it prompts "select server" and i choose one and it says "Can't connect to server". Can someone please help!

Last edited:
Don't see any image attachment here. Sounds like maybe you need to make sure some sort of networking is actually functioning on the virtual machine.

Which Ubuntu version are you installing again? I've never heard of a 0.2 release. Are you referring to 10.04?

My internet is limited so i got a 12MB disk image. this is what ist said on the one I got:Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Minimal CD 12.7MB (MD5: 02abb1a71bde21a1335e9368dad529ca, SHA1:78086cf96c4a5578cb113d5eb218efc2573a0f82 )

Ah, I see now. I saw your PM and thought you were talking about a graphical image. Didn't realize it was a disk image.

Not sure if this is still the case, but it should be an ISO image if you downloaded the disc image from the Ubuntu site. I don't think I've ever seen them provide a 12 MB disc image outright on their website, unless you're using the PXE mini-iso image. That one may not include everything you need since it's mean for PXE installations. It should work on most hardware, but your mileage may vary on a virtual machine. What is the speed of your connection that you can't download the standard ISO installation?

That's not too bad for the standard ISO image. You could just have it download overnight and it should be ready for you in the morning.

I'm talking about in Q.

Ah, wasn't aware they provided a disk image for use with Q. Anyway, if you download the ISO from Ubuntu, you can tell Q to use that image during the instalation process. You'll have to create a new virtual disk as your hard disk for the VM though. Once you've done that, have VM in Q boot from the ISO and have it install into the virtual disk you created.

Back