Can't install 10.2- detailed error log, need help

austinc

Registered
I wiped my ibook700 a few hours ago and am trying to get 10.2 back on it via installing 10.1 (that came with my comp) and using the upgrade. When I get about a third of the way through the install, I get a message "Cannot finish install due to errors, please restart and try again". Doing so doesn't help. The Apple knowledge base has something about a problem like this when installing 10.2 server, but it's not applicable to my case as far as I can tell.

I pulled the following from a log of the install:

Description of error for file being copied.
{
Error = "Couldn't open";
Path = "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/.OSInstall-temp/.OSInstall.mpkg.66.upgrade/Receipts/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents";
}
Description of error for file being copied.
{
Error = "Couldn't open";
Path = "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/.OSInstall-temp/.OSInstall.mpkg.66.upgrade/Receipts/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents";
}
Attributes of file being copied.
{
NSFileCreationDate = 2002-07-06 00:31:27 -0700;
NSFileExtensionHidden = 0;
NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID = 0;
NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName = wheel;
NSFileHFSCreatorCode = 0;
NSFileHFSTypeCode = 0;
NSFileModificationDate = 2002-07-05 16:31:27 -0700;
NSFileOwnerAccountID = 0;
NSFileOwnerAccountName = root;
NSFilePosixPermissions = 420;
NSFileReferenceCount = 1;
NSFileSize = 1779;
NSFileSystemFileNumber = 2975;
NSFileSystemNumber = 234881038;
NSFileType = NSFileTypeRegular;
}
Error detected
Name: NSGenericException
Reason: Unable to copy package source file /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents/Info.plist to destination receipt /Volumes/Macintosh HD/.OSInstall-temp/.OSInstall.mpkg.66.upgrade/Receipts/OSInstall.mpkg/Contents/Info.plist

I've tried all the normal things- disk repair and what not. At the end of my rope now, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
ac

If you have the Jaguar CD, boot from that and wipe the drive and install from that CD. No need to go from 10.1.

Unfortunately I only have an upgrade CD. Computer came with 10.1, I paid $39 (or whatever it was) for an upgrade, so no dice on going straight. I could fork over cash for 10.2 of course, but... ugh :p

Back