can't install 10.4.6 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkermit

Registered
I can't install 10.4.6 on my PB G4 with 10.4.5 installed. I can select destination. Problem became apperant when I used disk utility. Error message: "error starting disk utility background process". Someone else have similar problems?

I was unable to upgrade from 10.4.3 to 10.4.6 (through Softwatre Update) on a sawtooth G4/450, but I haven't had a chance to see why yet. I attempted twice and got an install error message both times.

My sawtooth G4/400 and Bronze G3/400 PowerBook made the leap fine.

if memory serves right (i'm not 100 % sure, i have to admit), the "error starting disk utility background process" comes from the itunes package receipt (!), which you can find here: --> harddrive (on which os x is installed) --> library --> receipts; the file is called "itunes.pkg".

put it on your desktop, and check if you still encounter the same error.

if you don't manage to install the 10.4.6 updater, you can try doing so from another machine: hook your mac up to another one, and start the former into target mode. this has worked for some people that were having problems with the installer.

it is also recommended that you download and apply the COMBO installer (which is a larger file, but from what i have read so far on the net, it is the better choice and more reliable).

hope this helps!

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

Thanks for the suggestions, however it didn't work out. The combo installer had the same problem. I still can't select a destination.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back