CAN't install on a fresh Drive for my Powerbook G4

kelvinfx

Registered
Hello,
i recently got a new drive (Hitachi 120 gig 5400RPM) form my powerbook G4 cos the old one is dead,
i opened the powerbook and fixed the new one, when i power on A grey screen appears and flashing in the middle of the screen is a folder, i tried booting from the dvd holding the C key, even tried the ail key, and it still takes me to this screen with the folder, then the MAC face, and then a question mark.
and i keeps flashing, i tried pressing alt key while this folder was showing and it show a a big lock and a place to put in a password, am confussed,
i tried entering all the passwords i've used on the mac before but nothing............

how do i install Tiger on this harddrive

A flashing folder with a question mark means the Powerbook can't find a System folder on the hard drive to start up from. Did you just install the new drive fresh from the box? If so, it doesn't have a system on it, and may not even be correctly formatted. To format the drive and install the system, you need to insert your Tiger System Install disk and reboot the Powerbook. As soon as you hear the chime, press and hold the "c" key to start up from the CD. When you see the gray screen with the apple logo you can let go of the "c" key. You will be presented with the installer screen. Simply follow the instructions to install the system. If the drive needs to be reformatted it will tell you so. When the installer has finished click "Restart" to start up from your Powerbook. Then launch Software Update from the Apple menu to update your system to the latest version.

Back