Can't install OS X on a G4 400

tochrene

Registered
I want to install OS X on my G4
I have two partitions 28 GB and 2 GB.

on the 2 GB partition I installed a fresh OS 9.1 but the OS X installer doesn't recognize it

I've heard that there were problems with older macs and that OS X must be installed on the first 8 GB of the disc

kind regards

This only applies to Old World (beige) Macs, not a G4. What do you mean the installer doesn't recognize it? If it's only talking about Classic, you can set that later in System Prefs.

Sorry if I'm not clear, I mean the installer doesn't see the partition, the only thing I see (on the moment I have to choose a volume) is a gray icon of the installer CD, no discs at all

Yesterday I initialized my disc with two partitions, 6 GB and 24 GB.

Exactly the same problems...

I am having the same problem.
G4 gigabit 400mz.

I had OSX installed- worked fine till one day. Then I reformatted to do a clean install, now I can't reinstall. The OSX installer does show other IDE devices I have as installable OSX partitions though.

I found the Master setting jumper on my hard drive removed. Put it back on, problem solved.

I have the 20GB Maxtor drive.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by tochrene
Sorry if I'm not clear, I mean the installer doesn't see the partition, the only thing I see (on the moment I have to choose a volume) is a gray icon of the installer CD, no discs at all

Yesterday I initialized my disc with two partitions, 6 GB and 24 GB.

Exactly the same problems...

I came across this problem before. But when I choose unix file system and then HFS+, it works again. I think you should go back to os9 again. It seems some think like unix partition has problem or your startup selector has problem.

--------------
G4/400/20/256/

Thanks all for your help, the problem is fixed with a jumper setting on the hard disc.

Ook Grafisis Eindhoven bedankt voor de service...

Back