Can't install program on iMac

ksmelcer

Registered
I'm trying to help someone who has an older iMAC G3. They have some inventory software which they really like and would like to install on a newer iMAC. Problem is they don't have the original disks. All they have is a cdrom with a single 3M file, called "uPOS 1.03bh.comp".

I'm trying to figure out how to install and or run this program and having no luck at all. Finder thinks it is a document. GetInfo shows it as a Unix Executable. "file" in a Terminal window says it is data. If I try to run it from the terminal, it says "cannot execute binary file".

I've run "strings" and I see various application labels, so I don't think this is a compressed file. I've looked at the binary data and don't see any type of human readable file header.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I've seen some references that a .comp extension is from CodeWarrior, but I couldn't find any more details.

Any thoughts or suggestions? FYI, I'm testing this on an Intel dual core macbook running 10.4.11.

Thanks!

I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I've seen some references that a .comp extension is from CodeWarrior, but I couldn't find any more details.

Indeed, the .comp extension may be a CodeWarrior compiler file. Because CodeWarrior was a MacOS 9 development system, I have difficulty seeing how this helps do your job. Another possibility is that it is a compressed file. However, I am aware of no Mac file archiving utility that handles any such filetype with this extension. In fact, the extension is so obscure that it is not listed in the filext.com database.

My suggestion to you is to forget about uPOS. It appears to have been abandoned long ago. There are other inventory programs available for the Mac.

Back