Can't Install Programs on Parallels

speedybug

Registered
I'm a new Mac user and just got Parallels so I can run programs that aren't compatable with Mac. However, when I try to install them (all legal programs) on Parallels running Windows XP, I get an error that says, "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

I can't figure out if it's a Mac OS, Parallels or Windows XP problem. My bet is Mac because of the password I have to put in to install, but my first program worked on the Windows virtualization. It was only after the first one that I started having problems. I've gone through the control panel in Windows as well as system preferences in Mac OS, all with no luck.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks!

I never had such a problem. Windows run on Parallels obeys Windows rules. (You install on a Windows disk, don't you ?).

The programs are free student versions downloaded from the Autodesk website, therefore the applications are already on my desktop and not on a cd. Is it suggested to put them on a cd instead for installation? The Revit application worked fine starting from the desktop so I assumed the other programs by the same company would work the same way.

I'd guess that most Autodesk apps won't run adequately in a virtualization environment such as Parallels, due to the video requirements of Autodesk apps.
Did you make sure that any anti-virus utilities are disabled when you try to install the apps? I searched through the support pages at the Autodesk site (which you should do also), and there seem to be issues with activation on most Autodesk apps. You should contact Autodesk directly about this, or give up on Parallels for those apps, and install Windows through Boot Camp, which will probably result in a better test of those apps.

If you are using an admin account on your Mac, and you are not using a Mac that belongs to your school (and therefore under admin controls), then your Mac OS X is not likely causing your installer error. You are installing through Windows, so Windows has control at that point - OS X doesn't even know that you are installing anything at that point. :) Good luck with Autodesk support :D

Back