can't install x11

danielhf

Registered
I recently started a computer programming class, and I wanted to install x11. I found the optional download for x11 on Apple's web site, downloaded it, and began to install it.

When it came to the spot, where I could choose where to install it, and it said I couldn't install it on Macintosh HD because a newer version already exists on that volume.

I know I don't have it, and was not able to find it anywhere on my computer (including the utilities folder).

Any ideas?

Danny

PS
G4 powerbook, 1.67 GHz, OSX 10.4.2

'I don't have it, and was not able to find it anywhere on my computer ...', and this statement is based on?

If you did not do a 'Find' ('Command F' or 'Finder' 'File, Find...') - do so, or just look in the '/Library/Receipts/' folder for 'X11User.pkg' and / or 'X11SDK.pkg'. If such file(s) exist, drag the file(s) to the 'Desktop'.
Insert the Tiger installation DVD. (Do not use the downloaded 28.10.2003 X11 installer.)
Boot from the Tiger installation DVD, do not choose any 'Options...' settings, and when you get to the panel with the 'Customize...' button - click on the 'Customize...' button.
Remove all noted check marks ('x' and '-'), and then check mark only the 'X11' check box.
Continue through the installation process.
Once completed, (the proper) 'X11' (version) should be located in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder.
You may now trash the 'X11User.pkg' and / or 'X11SDK.pkg' file(s).

The download will catagorically not work on 10.4 but you don't have to go through the trouble of booting form the install DVD. You can just find the X11 package on there and install it directly. You will also need to install teh X11 sdk if you are going to be doing any development work with X11.

'... but you don't have to go through the trouble of booting form the install DVD. You can just find the X11 package on there and install it directly.', indeed.

With the 'Mac OS X Install DVD' window displayed, scroll down to expose and double click on 'Optional Installs'. When you have navigated to 'Installation Type' (left side list), click on 'Applications' disclosure triangle, place a check mark in 'X11' check box, click on the Install button, etc.

To install 'X11SDK' navigate to ('/Mac OS X Install DVD/Xcode Tools/Packages/'), double click 'X11SDK.pkg', etc.

Back