Can't install yahoo messenger - help!

Landsharkdg

Registered
Okay, I am admittedly new to the mac world, but I've been trying to install yahoo messenger without luck. Once I download it, it tells me to drag the icon into applications and click open. Well, when I do that, it keeps popping up the same message - drag the yahoo messenger icon into your applications folder and click open to get started. Not working! And I don't get a yahoo messenger icon on my desktop after downloading, all I get is an icon that looks like a cd player... Help would be appreciated!

Nobody has any ideas on this one??? As a new mac user, judging by the number of problems I'm seeing posted here, mac isn't any better than a pc. Or is it? Seems to be plenty of problems posted here that leads me to believe mac isn't all it is cracked up to be... Am I wrong?

The number of problems you see posted come from various reasons. It can be from downloading or trying to install a program that does not work on a Mac or the wrong version for what machine they have, to not understanding (insert various reasons here).

First I suggest you drag to the trash all the Messenger files you have - on the desktop and from your downloads folder (that’s in your Home folder).

Now, in order to make sure you are downloading the right version of Yahoo... what OS X version are you running on your machine? You need 10.4 or 10.5 or 10.6 to run the beta version that they have available for download here.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

As a new mac user, judging by the number of problems I'm seeing posted here, mac isn't any better than a pc.

This is a place to get help with problems. Of course, you're going to see nothing but people with problems here. No one is going to come to this forum and start a new thread that says, "My Mac is working great, and I don't need your help."

Would you assume that all Hondas are pieces of crap because you walked past a Honda repair shop and all the Hondas in there were, in fact, broken? No one takes a perfectly working Honda into the repair shop.

Rest assured there are far more working Hondas than broken Hondas, though.

As for your problem, it sounds like you're dragging the actual disk image to your Applications folder, not the Yahoo messenger app itself. When you download the DMG file, it should mount on your desktop (the "CD Player" icon). Double click that CD icon, and a window should open that shows the Yahoo! messenger app. Drag that icon to your Applications folder, then drag the CD icon to the trash to "unmount" it.

Visit your Applications folder and double-click the Yahoo! messenger icon to launch the messenger program.

Back